Unbelievably easy and decadently wonderful, this chocolate pudding is instant! It’s made with blended sweet potato and cacao. Children and adults love the rich flavor, much like a Southern chocolate sweet potato pie. Mmmmmm! So quick and luscious, you’d never guess you’re eating vegetables! Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of beta-carotene and Vitamin A, an important antioxidant. They’re high in Vitamin B6, which is critical in preventing hardening of the arteries. Sweet potatoes also contain healthy fiber, which gives them a “slow burning” quality. The suggested sweetener is Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root, which has zero calories, zero carbs and doesn’t affect blood sugar. So kids won’t be running around all sugar spiked and crazy. Or you can use your favorite sweetener. Orange zest gives it a Caribbean twist, and is optional. This pudding tastes great with Instant Coconut Whipped Cream on top. Or toasted nuts. Or plain. Find many more amazing healthy sweets in my new cookbook Paleo Desserts! Serves 2
- 1 medium sweet potato, c 360 grams
- 1/2 cup Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener (not Baking), or your favorite sweetener.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted (place the jar in a pan of hot water to melt)
- Zest of 1/2 orange (optional) (a micro-plane grater is easiest)
- 1/4 cup pure unsweetened cacao powder
- Top with Instant Coconut Whipped Cream, or a sprinkle of toasted nuts, if tolerated (optional)
- Place the coconut oil jar in a pan or sink of hot water to liquefy.
- Peel and cube the sweet potato. Place it in a small pan with 1/2 inch water, and bring it to a boil. Turn it down to medium simmer and cook for 5 minutes or until the sweet potato is soft when pierced with a fork. Drain well. It should be still warm, not boiling hot.
- In any blender add the warm sweet potato, sweetener, vanilla, and optional orange zest. Blend until smooth and creamy. Add cacao powder last and blend. That’s it! This blended easily in my blender. If it is too thick in yours, add 1 or 2 tablespoons hot filtered water, a minimum amount to blend.
- Pour into dessert cups and enjoy immediately. Or chill to thicken more.
- Optional Topping: Instant Coconut Whipped Creme or a sprinkle of toasted nuts