Blackberries are a refreshing treat loaded with gorgeous color and anti-oxidant compounds. Protein powder gives this treat the holding power of a full meal. It was such a pretty color that I enhanced it with beet. Beets are a unique source of betaine, an anti-inflammatory food to improve circulation and protect against cancer. Anyway WOW! It was delicious! If you use one of the zero-carb sweetener options, you’ll give your blood sugar a break as well. I restrained myself today and didn’t do the Dark Chocolate Variation below. Next time I’ll go all the way… Serves 1.
- 2/3 cup blackberries, fresh or frozen
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- Dash vanilla
- 1 scoop (1/4 cup) of your favorite protein powder
- 3 thin slices fresh beet
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate powder (optional)
- 1/2 lemon or lime, peel removed, and seeded
- Sweeten to taste with 2 tablespoons Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener, or 1 teaspoon PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson, or 1 1/2 tablespoons raw honey, or your favorite sweetener.
- Using a small size blender, immersion blender with cup, or food processor, blend well until smooth and creamy. Blend really well to grind the blackberry seeds as well as possible.
Dark Chocolate Blackberry Frappe:
- Follow the recipe above
- Add 1 tablespoon pure unsweetened cacao or cocoa powder, and
- 1 1/2 tablespoons more sweetener, to taste.