Decadently wonderful, sensuously delicious. It’s hard to believe it’s healthy. Look at the ingredients – 100% Paleo, Vegan, egg-free, low-carb. OK, you be the judge. A brownie in a mug. Yes, baked in a mug. Stir together the ingredients and bake. 20 minutes later, you’re in heaven.
Sweeten to taste. If you’re new to the low-sugar lifestyle, you can choose to be a beginner. Intermediate means you enjoy an average level of sweetness. Advanced means your body is tuned to a very low level of sweetness. You can to top it with Instant Coconut Whipped Cream, but then it might disappear too fast. Who knows?
Oh, you could probably nuke this in 2 minutes. But then you’d be wasting all these healthy ingredients! Microwaving destroys 50 – 90% of the phyto-nutrients in foods. It obliterates the natural flavors by penetrating super-hot rays deep into the cells of the food. Once you appreciate the natural flavors of real food, you’ll never want to go back. I gave up my microwave years ago, and my health has been steadily improving ever since. Why don’t YOU try nuking one, and compare it to one baked in the oven, and then tell us what difference you notice in flavor and, of course, tummy happiness. Serves 1.
Paleo Brownie in a Mug
- 1/3 cup almond meal
- 3 tablespoons pure cacao powder
- 1/8 teaspoon unprocessed salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch cayenne powder, if you can do nightshades
- 1/3 cup or a bit more, unsweetened coconut milk or filtered water
- 3 tablespoons coconut butter, almond butter, or coconut oil
- Dash vanilla (That’s something between a splash and a slug)
- Paleo sweetener. Beginner: 5 tablespoons, Intermediate: 4 tablespoons, Advanced: 3 tablespoons. I suggest Just Like Sugar natural chicory root or half that amount of Lo Han Pure, which have no carbs and do not effect blood sugar. Raw honey is yummy too, but high in carbs, or use your favorite sweetener.
- 1/4 teaspoon decaffeinated coffee crystals, optional, for that deep mocha flavor
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a 12-ounce cup, stir together the dry ingredients: almond meal, cacao powder, salt, cinnamon, and cayenne, if using.
- Add the coconut milk, coconut butter (or almond butter, or oil), vanilla, sweetener, and coffee crystals.
- Patiently stir. Think about how wonderful it’s going to taste in just 20 minutes. Imagine the flavors blending deliciously. And stir some more. Try not to overflow the cup with joy. Stir until more or less smooth. A few lumps are ok.
- Put the cup on a baking tray and bake 20 minutes. Remove from the oven. Top with optional Instant Coconut Whipped Cream – or not.
- Enjoy every delirious bite!