Almonds are a healthy, high-protein snack that’s very low in sugars and carbs. Here’s a super-quick and easy 5-minute recipe for cocoa-covered almonds. While our Paleo ancestors may have never tasted these delicacies, they could have, since they’re made from 100% hunt-and-gather ingredients. A great pick-me-up treat, the pure chocolate coating on these almonds will give you a small dose of Phenethylamine, the love chemical, which stimulates the nervous system and triggers the release of pleasant endorphins.
Eat them plain, as an appetizer, dessert, sprinkle them on ice cream, or box them up as a gift for your lover. If you use one of the natural zero-sugar sweeteners mentioned, then they’ll convey your message without destabilizing his or her blood sugar. If you’re avoiding caffeine, you can use carob powder instead of cacao. Look for unsweetened pure cacao powder or cocoa powder – these two are pretty much the same thing. Fine grinding your sweetener in a hand-held grinder or super-blender will insure a smooth coating on the almonds with no crunchy crystals. It’s important to start with toasted, crunchy almonds. I suggest soaking and toasting nuts before storing them – see All About Nuts. If you do that, this recipe is easy to digest, and takes less than 5 minutes. Makes 1 cup chocolate-covered almonds.
Step 1. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together warm filtered water, salt, and vanilla. Stir in the almonds to moisten them slightly. then drain them immediately so they don’t get soggy.
Step 2. In a small bag, mix together the cacao powder and finely ground sweetener. Add cinnamon and coffee powder, if using. Shake the bag to mix well.
Step 3. Drain the almonds very well, put them into the bag with the cacao, and shake well.
Step 4. Put the almonds into a strainer over a mixing bowl, and shake off the excess powder.
Step 5. Eat!
- 1 cup almonds (Soaked and toasted is best, so they’ll be crunchy. See All About Nuts)
- 1/2 cup warm filtered water
- 1 teaspoon unprocessed salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup pure cacao powder (or carob if you’re avoiding chocolate)
- Finely ground sweetener to taste. 1/4 cup Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener, or 2 teaspoons PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson, or 1/4 cup your favorite dry sweetener, finely ground like confectioner’s sugar.
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon Mr. Hagen organic decaffeinated coffee (optional)
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together warm filtered water, salt, and vanilla. Stir in the almonds to moisten them slightly. Drain immediately so the almonds won’t get soggy.
- In a small bag, mix together the cacao powder, finely ground sweetener, plus cinnamon and coffee powder, if using. Shake to mix well.
- Put the almonds into the cacao bag and shake well until they’re coated.
- Put the almonds into a strainer over a mixing bowl, and shake off the excess powder.
- Put into a serving bowl and eat!
“Love doesn’t need reason. It speaks from the irrational wisdom of the heart.” Deepak Chopra