Chocolate Haystacks are super quick and delicious. In fact, there’s no need to bake these cookies. Just mix them, roll them, and eat them! They’re a great lunch treat or snack, and a fun recipe to make with children. And the best news is they’re sweetened with zero-carb Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener, to keep everyone’s blood sugar in balance. Or use your favorite sweetener. Use your favorite unsweetened nut butter, such as almond butter, sunflower butter, hazelnut butter, coconut butter, or your favorite. No equipment required. Makes about 24 yummy cookies.
- 3 tablespoons smooth or crunchy roasted almond butter or your favorite nut butter, unsweetened.
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil (place jar in lukewarm water to melt oil)
- 3/4 cup Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener (not Baking), or your favorite sweetener.
- 1 tablespoon raw Yacon syrup (optional)
- 1/4 cup pure cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of unprocessed salt
- 2 tablespoons filtered water
- 1 cup medium-shredded unsweetened coconut flakes *
- In a medium-size mixing bowl stir the almond butter, melted coconut oil, sweetener, yacon syrup (if using), cacao powder, vanilla, salt, and water until smooth. Sweeten to taste.
Add the coconut and mix in gently.
- Using a spoon or a melon baller, form 1-inch balls and place on a serving plate.
- Enjoy immediately or chill to firm up.
I find these cookies crispier and more flavorful when the shredded coconut is lightly toasted. Before you start, place the shredded coconut on a dry baking sheet and bake at 350°F for 5 to 8 minutes. Watch it carefully and remove from the oven just as it starts to turn golden brown. But take care; it burns easily!