When peaches are in season, it’s time for Peach Shortbread. This has a delicate and scrumptious flavor, with a hint of cardamom and citrus zest, something like a peach crumble. Oh, and they freeze well, so try not to eat the whole pan. Makes one 9 x 9 pan, or about 16 pieces.
• 1 3/4 cups almond meal
• 2 tablespoons arrowroot flour
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
• 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
• 2/3 cup coconut butter, softened (place the jar in a bowl of warm water)
• 2 large eggs
• Zest of one orange or lemon, optional
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• Sweetener to taste, more or less 1/2 cup. I use natural chicory root Just Like Sugar Table Top,which has zero carbs, zero calories, and no effect on blood sugar.
• 2 peaches, thinly sliced 1/8-inch thick
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×9 inch pan, and flour with coconut flour.
In a medium bowl or food processor, mix the almond meal, arrowroot flour, salt, cardamom, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add coconut butter, eggs, zest, and vanilla. Sweeten to taste. Mix well until a crumbly mixture forms.
Pat 3/4 of the mixture into the pan, pressing firmly. Layer the peach slices on top. Scatter remaining crumbs evenly over peaches and bake 30 minutes, until top is slightly brown. Cool completely in pan about 30 minutes before cutting into squares.